Flesh vs. Spirit

When do you submit? 

Even though I am a very committed Christian, at times I find myself wanting worldly desires. I know it’s in all of us; it’s our human nature. But I never thought I would feel so strongly about these temptations I know are bad! Have you ever felt this?
It’s like we know they are wrong, but it doesn’t take the fact away we want that.
One of my weaknesses as a young girl was stubbornness. My mom remembers several occasions on which I would not listen to authority. 

The Popsicle

“Alright, Candice and Kelly. It’s popsicle time!” Mom enthusiastically announced, sitting my sister and I down at the table. Kelly, the blonde-headed angel received her Popsicle graciously. I, on the other hand, refused.
“I don’t want to eat a Popsicle.” I declared. Startled by the stubbornness of her oldest child, and new to the whole discipline world, Mom stared at me confused.
“What do you mean you won’t eat your Popsicle?” And after many attempts to sweet-talk me into eating it, she decided to enforce me.
“Alright. Since you won’t eat your Popsicle, you’ll have to sit here until you do.” Well, this wasn’t apart of my battle plan. But I wouldn’t cave in now. After a few minutes, Kelly arose from her chair and began to play happily. I sat at the counter with control in my eyes. Finally, Mom called Dad at work.

“I’ve never seen a two-year-old so adamant about not eating a Popsicle! She simply won’t eat it! She has sat here for two hours not moving!” My parents knew they couldn’t go back on their word, so we were all backed in a corner. But to my Mom’s relief, after hours of waiting, I ended up eating the melted blue popsicle. (Technically, it was so melted at this point, my mom had to get another one)

Have you ever been stubborn on a decision you know is wrong, but you still do it just to be stubborn? If so, you aren't the only one. But once you grow up and realize how foolish this is, it makes you want to rethink your approach. Is it really wise to be stubborn? Not on a decision that is bad. 

Take the first step towards freedom by submitting to authority the next time you want to be stubborn. 
Remember how making good decisions can affect you later in life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog